Monday, December 1, 2008

The First Thanksgiving

Here is a picture from the First Thanksgiving which actually occurred on November 27th around about the same time as the meal would be going on back at home at my family's celebration. That was cool I thought. I got a chance to talk to some of them before they ate dinner which was great, and then we all ate over at our friends, Ruth and Neil's house where our small group from church meets. We had the usual dishes and two brave people tried new recipes for cornbread and sweet potatoes which were both delicious! We had a very yummy meal, and then I gave a talk on the real First Thanksgiving and the history of it. Then everyone wrote a list of things they were thankful for and we took turns sharing them while we were eating our dessert which was pumpkin and apple pie and fruit. The pumpkin pie that I made from scratch was a hit! I used my mom's recipe for the filling and my mother-in-law's recipe for the crust. Tim picked up the whipped cream on the way. So it was a team effort. Everyone said they enjoyed the evening, and it did help take my mind off of the fact that I was really missing home and family a lot. We were so happy our friends Julia and Simon brought their two little ones because it added that element of children noise that I am so used to which was wonderful. Overall a great evening of fun and many new friends to be very thankful for! In this picture from left to right: George (Georgina), Amy, Sally, Bianca (hidden) behind John, Julia.

No comments: