Saturday, December 6, 2008

Healthy Food


As some of you may already know, I am a sort of a health nut when it comes to my daily life (with the exception of a few dessert indulgences), but I have to say that in this country, healthy food has not caught on the way it has in the states. I know what you're thinking. "What? Healthy food in the states, the home of McDonalds and family size portions of pasta for one person and desserts that are always much bigger than they should be?" Well, you have to remember, when you go to a restaurant these days in the states, there is always always a healthy option which mostly includes a salad or a low carb option and you can usually substitute things for steamed veggies or a side salad etc. Well, that is not what things are like here. Here, when you order a "grilled chicken salad", it may in fact be fried chicken! Yes, that did actually happen to me and it is no joke. The salads are typically not great at all, although there may be better salads at more fancy restaurants, but we haven't been to those quite yet. So, in order to get over eating WAY too many potatoes (it's an obsession over here), I have done my best to shop for my yummy fresh ingredients like veggies, fruit and whole grain items. This is a bit tricky. It is not like you can just go to Whole Foods and choose from the "garden of eden" produce section that they have there. The only Whole Foods that I know of is in London (a 40 minute train ride). So we do what we have to do. But it still is a struggle to find these yummy healthy things since I have to go to a few different stores and get a ride to most of them or take the train into town. I made myself this yummy salad of spinach, fennel, cucumber, bean sprouts, tahini sauce, and oil and vinegar. Yum! On the side is my gluten free bread from the market with egg free mayo. It was a delicious lunch!

No comments: