Sunday, October 19, 2008

Wellies



As of yesterday I have purchased my very first pair of Wellies known originally as Wellington boots. That is because these were made popular by the Duke of Wellington. Basically they are the American version of galoshes. Now I don't know about you, but I never actually owned a pair of galoshes. I just had snow boots but nothing rubbery like this. Well, over here absolutely everyone owns at least one pair. They are generally an olive green color or even black which are the traditional colors. But of course with the fashion trends always changing and updating, these days you can get them to suit your own fashion style. I have seen ones with chocolate candies all over them or polka dots or butterflies or camouflage, but since I was at the store with just a couple of varieties, this was what I chose. Mine are actually (and this is actually pretty amazing really) made by Laura Ashley. Now I know what you're thinking, Laura Ashley? Doesn't that usually mean very conservative and classic clothing for ladies. Well yes it does, but apparently in England, wellies are so popular that every brand feels compelled to come out with their own. I just thought it would be cool to get the fashionable ones. Fortunately they did actually fit me, because in the past I have had considerable trouble getting knee boots for myself due to my rather annoying foot to calf size ratio. basically my feet are much smaller than my calves, so that if a boot fits my foot, my calf will not make it in the boot, and if my calf fits in the boot, my foot will be swimming. The great thing about these wellies that did fit, was they were a bit larger for the calf area than other ones I tried and with their design, you need some room for your feet anyway while at the same time wearing nice thick socks to help keep you warm. So I lucked out! Now the next time I go walking in Hatfield Forest or looking for shells on the beach, I will have my wellies to wear!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

oh my gosh - i so want a pair. i'll start the trend back here in the US

Hermanita said...

Yeah... i so called shotgun on that one!