Thursday, January 29, 2009

Country Walks

I went for a 5.5 mile walk with my mother-in-law which took us from our town of Stansted to Braintree and back through footpaths and around fields: the scenic route. We followed a map and directions in a book entitled 50 Walks in Essex. So we walked for about an hour and a half and then stopped at the pub for a lunch before continuing back home. It was a long walk, but not too tiring really. I had wondered if it would be muddy, but after having to scrape my boots every five minutes due to the colossal attachment of very sticky mud that was weighing my feet down, I realized that mud must be a given. I took a few pictures, and this one is of Digby Wood. It is so middle earth looking to me with the trees very green and ethereal. Other views from the walk included fields, fields, and more fields, oh yeah and a highway and a couple of old buildings i.e. churches and houses. It was definitely a tiring walk but very invigorating as usual. The only hiccups were the two huge blisters I got on my heels from not wearing two pairs of socks. Oh well, it was still a good walk. Maybe next time I will go with Tim for a more romantic country walk. P.S. The blisters are pretty much gone if you were wondering, but the boots are still muddy!

No comments: