Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sick of Sponge

Here in England, it appear that the sponge cake is definitely one of the most popular desserts found in shops, at tea times and at church socials everywhere. In fact, it may actually be the case that the sponge cake is the most religiously acceptable cake to make for a church social. There are some ladies who would be outraged if there were not at least 5 different sponge cakes being make for a church social event. I think it may even border on blasphemy! But as for me, being the rebel that I am, I have had it with sponge cakes. Although they are very light, fluffy and sweet, and they generally do hit the spot with a cup of coffee or tea, my body is telling me that it has had its fill of the sponge cake smorgasbord lifestyle. I think all the cake over the last few months has made me dislike the cake and begin to feel (upon just gazing at the cake) the way I would feel just after eating it: sick to my stomach with a headache and beginning to lose the will to live. I know it may sound dramatic, but I do believe that a combination of the wheat and sugar really puts be over the edge and then makes me feel sad that I went over the edge for no reason. So basically, I am so over the whole sponge cake novelty. Bring on some fresh fruit and yogurt anytime!

BTW: If anyone is interested, this is a picture of a Victoria Sponge cake named for Queen Victoria (because she liked it). It was named for her after she and some other ladies started the tradition of tea time in the afternoon around 4:00 which has become a traditional British standard (although now somewhat old fashioned). Also, the British standard for creating a proper sponge cake is from a recipe is as follows: 4 oz. flour, 4 oz. sugar, 4 oz. butter and 2 eggs with larger cakes being a doubling of this recipe as required.

No comments: