Friday, January 30, 2009

Alpha Course

At our church they have several Alpha courses going on that just started in January. These are something that I have not been familiar with in the past but are pretty common around here. The course is mainly discussions based on Christianity and allows non-Christians and Christians to discuss things and ask and answer questions about what they believe. It is a great thing for people who are thinking of becoming Christians to do especially so they can find out what they need to know and discuss some of the tough questions they may have. Also, it is great for Christians to discuss what they believe and why they believe certain things. Having to try to answer some of the tough questions often gives Christians a deeper understanding of their faith and trains them in apologetics so they can more convincingly defend their faith or even explain their beliefs in an honest and insightful way. I am going to one at our church which meets on Wednesdays and we have coffee and desserts and hear someone's testimony of their journey to faith in Jesus and followed by a themed talk and great questions to discuss in our smaller groups. I have enjoyed chatting with different people and exploring some very interesting theological topics. It is a great time every night. If you ever get a chance to do one, go for it, and I am sure you will enjoy it and learn a lot.

1 comment:

Steven Carr said...

I went to an Alpha course, and at one point I was flatly forbidden to read from the Bible, and was verbally abused, and even had my Bible taken from me.

It was returned, of course.

I guess there are some questions Christians do not like answering...