Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Barn Dance


So what do the English really do on a Saturday night? Why of course, they go to a Barn Dance. At least, some of them do. Tim and I got talked into going to a Barn Dance (note: not actually in a barn, sadly) on Saturday night with the Bishop's Stortford Baptist church but actually located at the Methodist Church hall. Well, actually I got talked into it by my mum-in-law and Tim basically got dragged along. He was a good sport although vowing beforehand to not partake in ANY dances. Tim and I ended up taking a little walk outside during the evening, and when we got back, Tim was ready to leave. So as we got up to go (much to the chagrin of his mum) the guy on the mike shouted, "Hey Tim, you can't leave yet! I've got a special song just for you!" So, basically Tim got forced onto the dance floor through sheer embarrassment (and with me holding his hand). The thing with a Barn Dance not actually in a barn is that you have a band that plays country folk style music while someone calls out the steps from the stage and everyone follows along. It is sort of like a square dancing kind of thing in that it involves changing partners and a bit of spinning and docey-doeing. So Tim joined in with me and the lot for the last 2 dances which was fun. At the end of the night we were all a bit sweaty but everyone was still smiling. Tim actually said that he enjoyed his 2 dances and I think particularly because to get me back for making him come, he got to spin me around super fast and almost get me to fall down. All in all it was good fun and a great silly night out! By the way, in the picture is my father-in-law sporting his plaid shirt for the occasion and dancing with one of the little girls.

No comments: